Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Star Wars in Concert




This was last night's trip out of my cave.  Very enjoyable it was too.  If I were ever to go again though I wouldn't book seats in the centre of the front row.  Unfortunately I had far too good a view of the conductor.  As you can see from the photo he took precedence over the screen.  To be fair though he wasn't as obstructing in real life as he is in the photo.

The whole show was a huge spectacle.  No expense spared.  Except on the seating.  For more than ten times the price of a cinema ticket I would expect to have a better seat.  More fool me!

The show takes you through the Star Wars story via clips and a live narration by Anthony Daniels.  Though I have to admit the recorded into by James Earl Jones made me wish the Dark Lord could have done it.  David Prowse would have been excellent (see earlier blog entry!).

Lucas hasn't cottoned on that we were sick of Anakin as a child and the Anakin/Padme romance first time around.  We got plenty of clips outlining their parts of the story.  I suppose their would have been a large gap if they hadn't.  But, sometimes large gaps are good.

The scenes from IV & V were obviously my favourite.  With VI not preying too much on the little fiends that laid the ground for Jar Jar.  A large orchestra doesn't make me any more convinced that where the Rebel Alliance struggled a group of (anything but) cute, hoodie bears easily succeed. 

It was an experience which is hard to describe.  If you love the films, you'll love this.  If you're not a big fan I don't think you'll get value for money.  If you are thinking of going book a seat above stage level.  Distance from the screen won't detract. it's that large.  And you'll get a much clearer view.

Major disappointment of the night - The ewoks were behind glass.  A photo of me throttling one would have been ace :-)

3.5 out of 5 severed ewok heads.

0 comments:

Post a Comment