Thursday, November 17, 2011

Tome Time - When the Tripods Came by John Christopher


Started September 26th, finished October 4th.

Now, I have made little secret how The Tripods trilogy is my favourite reading material from when I was but a child.  I still love it.  This is the prequel, written a while after the original trilogy.

I am always dubious when encountering something, added to something great, at a much later date.  However, true to form the author doesn't disappoint.  The story of how the Tripods came to Earth is told through the eyes of a young teen, Laurie and his friend, Andy.  Once again the characters are well written and believable rather than being heroes.  Laurie is reminiscent of Will in some ways and Andy has some similarities to Henry but that is where the links end really.  There is no tedious links to teh original trilogy which would make the story unbelievable.  The story of how The Tripods conquer Earth is well told and logical.  I was originally feared that this book could spoil the experience of the story.  It doesn't, it enhances it.

It leaves you at just the right point.  You know where they are and what will come but it's not all tied up in a patronising fashion.

Whenever I re-read the books I always read the prequel last.  It feels much better that way.  I suppose I should try reading it first and see what that does to the reading experience...

4 out of 5 pawprints

Next - Nine Dragons by Michael Connelly.

4 comments:

Paul said...

I really enjoyed this book. Like you, I read it after the others but actually I think it has more power that way.

kiraniumbra said...

I'm glad you liked it. I think it suffers a little from the fact that we know where it ends up & that Christopher has retconned a little, but it's still a damn good read.

kiraniumbra said...

I'm glad you liked it. It suffers a little from being a bit restricted, having to fit into storylines, but it's still a damn good read.

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading it and also very much enjoyed it. I agree with what you say about the main characters, especially Laurie, who like Will really annoyed me a few times but at least he was a realistic 14 year old boy not a "hero".

Post a Comment