Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tome Time - Le Dossier, How to Survive the English by Sarah Long


Started December 19th, finished January 3rd.  276 pages

This is described as a guide for French ladies who, against all their better judgement, have to live in England.

My first quibbles would be that this isn't for 'French ladies' but Parisiennes.  Nor is it about living in England so much as London.

I feel I'm lacking in a sense of humour for large parts of this book.  Maybe it's the sneering tone I found in it's author?  There were moments of  'Wow, yes, she's hit the nail with that one.'  It also made you think about how our little island does things.  I quite like the way we do some of the things she scorns.  Others hurt a little more because she was right.

I would like to see her version on the faults of Paris as a home city.  I can't see it though.  In her eyes Paris is civilised, London lags a long way behind.

This is not a book I can find much to recommend in.  It's interesting but irritated me too much to be enjoyed.

2 out of 5 pawprints

Next - The pale Criminal by Philip Kerr

Book 1 of 2012, Page Total 276



2 comments:

Andy Ramus said...

Strangely Mary, even though I can see you're not overly impressed by this, you say enough to make me want to have a peep at it. My interest is stirred!!
P.S:- Hope my short wasn't so very bad you don't want to hurt my feelings by reviewing it. Don't worry if that is the case, I'd still want to hear the critique, so I can improve. :))

Anonymous said...

Maybe I should also give it a try as a French lady who against my better judgement, have decided many years ago to live in England... albeit I am not a Parisienne and I do not live in London...

Post a Comment