Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Importamce of Being Earnest, Library Theatre



The final play showing at Manchester's Library Theatre is The Importance of Being Earnest.  Probably my favourite play of all time.  There was no way I was going to miss the production.

I'm sure this play can never be a complete disappointment.  Wilde's script is wonderful, a work of comic genius.  Despite its age it is still as hilarious today.

Lady Bracknell is one of my favourite characters to grace the stage.  Her cutting remarks never lose anything no matter how many times I see them performed.  In this production Lady Bracknell was played by a man,  Russell Dixon.  He was definitely the best actor in the production.  I have not seen a man play this part before.  I have to say I don't think it was necessary.  It added another level of ridiculousness to the play.  Which it did not need.

I found the weak point of the play to be the casting.  The actor playing Algernon just didn't cut it for me.  He looked as if he was acting the part.  His actions too pronounced for me to believe he truly was the louche and decadent young aristocrat he was playing.  The actors playing Miss Prism, Jack and Chasuble were all perfectly fine.  Not much more can be said.  Leigh Symonds, playing the role of two different man-servants was perfect.  His acting, mainly facial expression got his thoughts across excellently.  A shame his part was so small.  The parts of Gwendoline and Cecily didn't fit quite right with me.  The actress playing Gwendoline was over-pronouncing her words in a very unnatural manner.  They didn't flow for me.  Cecily looked the part but wasn't dainty enough for me.  Her actions were a little masculine.  Which is rich coming from a clumping Tomboy like myself, though I would never cast myself as Cecily.

The costumes were not very attractive.  They were dull and sometimes ugly.  I would have preferred much prettier, noticeable dresses on Cecily and Gwendoline.

All in all I enjoyed the play.  It must be virtually impossible not to.  3.5 pawprints out of 5.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Earnest is my all time fave, also, though it saddens me to say I've yet to be involved in a production of it. It's a shame the actors weren't up to the challenge, but it is good to hear that Wilde's words shine through even a lackluster show.

Post a Comment