Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll (A spoiler free ramble)




Last night I had the opportunity to request "2 for Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll please".  Now it's not every day you get to ask for that (insert immature snigger here).

I am not an Ian Dury fan.  I hardly know anything about the man or his band.  My sole knowledge was limited to my love of "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" from childhood.  As much as I enjoyed this song I couldn't have named you another of theirs.  This lack of knowledge didn't stop me enjoying this film in the slightest.

The main draw to the cinema for me was Andy Serkis in what would be the first time I'd seen him in a leading role.  In the parts I've seen the man play he's never disappointed.  They may not all have been in great films but he was always good.  Hearing him interviewed by Mayo and Kermode only increased my interest.  He came across as a genuinely nice, down to earth , guy dedicated to his craft.

The preparation he put into the role was impressive.  Wearing an old-fashioned calliper for any amount of time wouldn't appeal to me.  He seems someone who puts his all into his craft without any of the arty pretensions I perceive in others.  It worked, I believed throughout the film that Serkis was Dury.  A weaker performance of the main role would have broken this film.  I believe that Serkis made this film as good as it is.  I will definitely in the cinema for his next role.

This isn't a luvvy bio-pic.  It depicts a character who has been through hell.  This doesn't give him any compassion for anyone else though.  He is painted as a selfish, often cruel man.  Who puts his own ambition and creature comforts before anyone else's needs or his responsibilities. He also gets his own way due to his charisma and the charm he can ooze when it suits.

The film doesn't pan out in a typical fashion.  It's not strictly linear, though it is easy to follow.  The use of music and animation really adds to the entertainment aspect of the film.  It seems perfectly suited to Dury's personality.  Though as I only have the film as a reference I have no idea how true this is.

All the cast do a good job with one minor exception.  Ralph Ineson was a little clunky.  I'm not sure of that was how he was supposed to be but the way he played the role grated on me.  Bill Milner yet again gave us a great performance.  This is maybe the first child actor I really believe in.  He seems very busy of late and for that I'm grateful.  He's definitely one to keep an eye on.

Overall I'd say this is a fun, sometimes very sad, story of a not very nice, interesting man who was a great entertainer.  I don't think he'd have fared well in 'the real world' but the fact that he overcame his disability to be known as a singer rather than a 'cripple' in harsher times marks him out for admiration in my eyes.  I would say it's a must for any Dury fan and a definite for anyone who likes a good film bio.

4 pawprints out of 5.

0 comments:

Post a Comment