Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Wall St 2 - Money Never Sleeps

I have to put the disclaimer right here.  I'm a huge fan of the original film.  I find Gordon Gekko a delicious screen character.  I was well pleased that I had a chance to see him again.  To cut it short, I went into this film wanting to love it.

I don't think I'll ever understand the Shia love.  In interviews I find him arrogant and unlikable.  On screen I find him at best competent.  I don't dislike him on screen.  It's more a case of  'I wouldn't cross the road to see him'.  In this he's just about adequate.

This is the first time I've seen Carey Mulligan in a role.  She comes across well.  She's likable on screen.  I just couldn't understand what she saw in Lebeouf's character.  I didn't believe his character had 'slipped', I just thought he was a swine waiting to happen.  I would have thought her 'swine' sensors would have been better than that with her feelings about her father.

The star of the show, as to be expected, is Michael Douglas.  He was great.  The downplaying of the older/wiser Gekko was perfect.  The sneaks of the 'real' Gekko getting through even better.  Douglas is a great screen presence.  I think my favourite role of his has to be Gordon.  Yes, he's a total bastard but he's good to watch!

The part I felt most let down by was the ending.  It was totally against the grain of the film and felt soooo wrong.

This is in no way a great film.  However I loved it.  The shots of New York were fantastic.  For that and the Gekko I rate it 4 pawprints out of 5.  Don't go see it on my say so though.  The professionals seem to think it mediocre.  My rating is taste over substance.

Oh and within 24 hours of seeing this film I had a Carey crop.  Is that taking Oliver Stone too seriously???

3 comments:

Paul said...

I completely agree with your assessment of Shia LaBeuoeofoof (whatever). I don't get his appeal on or off the screen. He's joining a list of actors that I find difficult to watch and, in some cases, refuse to watch.

I haven't watched the original Wall Street in YEARS. So I may have to take a trip back in time before attempting the sequel.

P

Paul said...

And did you not see Carey Mulligan in the Doctor Who episode "Blink"?

Unknown said...

This is why I'm such a bad Dr Who fan. I had completely forgotten she was Sally Sparrow.

Post a Comment