Friday, January 14, 2011

The King's Speech


I'd been itching to see this film for a while. The cast was impressive and it was a subject and era I wanted to know more about.

Within the first scene I was torn up for the Duke of York.  Firth had dragged me in immediately.  Between him and the direction I felt so much for the poor man.  It was painful to watch.  The setting of the scenes was very well done.  Maybe as it's not that far in the past that's easier to do.  After the Downton Abbey/Upstairs Downstairs hype recently we're in not unfamiliar surroundings.

This has a fantastic cast.  I'd heard all the award buzz about Firth's performance and wanted to see if it was worthy.  Well I was totally convinced a few scenes in that all the buzz was worth it.  That isn't to say that Bonham-Carter and Rush don't deserve much credit too.  They were both wonderful but didn't have half as much to do, especially physically, as Firth.  Special mention has to go to Derek Jacobi, he may not be on screen an awful lot but he's brilliant. Without ever overplaying the role. The only casting choice I was unsure about was Spall as Churchill. The fact that Churchill was necessary to play the part of others is also dubious but I can understand why he was inserted.  There's a short article here on the accuracy of the film.

I loved seeing a younger Queen Mother on screen.  I'm no royalist but I did admire her sense of duty after undertaking the  unwanted role of Queen Consort.  Especially so during WWII.  The story of Edward and Mrs Simpson is seen as a great love story.  I think not.  To me the great love story was that of Elizabeth and Bertie.

Guy Pearce is excellently pathetic as the Prince of Wales and the short reigning Monarch with no sense of the  duty his great privilege required.  I think it's pretty obvious what I think of the man.  However much I think I would have disliked Wallis Simpson, the woman did our country a huge favour.

The film really pulls on the emotions.  Something I'm against when it's done badly.  However I loved this film.  I thought it was wonderful.  I'm glad it pulled at my heartstrings.

To see an old London landmark in the opening scene brought a warm glow.  Maybe the first time I've been glad of CGI.

4.5 Pawprints.  I can;t give a film that tampers with historical fact 5.

3 comments:

Paul said...

Interesting review. I've been looking forward to this as well. Not sure when I'm going to see it though, what with being out of the country all next week...

Camille said...

Nice review! I too really liked The King's Speech but I feel like it's one of those movies I saw it - love it, but doubt I will every watch it again. You know what I mean? Side note: Colin Firth can do no wrong... he's a wonderful actor.

Unknown said...

Thanks. I thought Firth was absolutely great in every way. I did love Bonham Carter's performance too. It was just perfect without trying to steal the limelight.

Post a Comment