Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tome Time - Redshift by Alan Garner






Started 5th September, finished 26th September.

I really expected to love this book.  The Weirdstone of Brasingamen, The Moon of Gomrath and The Owl Service could have been written for me personally.  It also fulfils my want to read more books set locally too. 

However, as you can see from how long it took me to finish the shortish novel, it didn't grab me at all.  I just couldn't get into the story at all.  The way it's written doesn't help.  It's virtually all told via dialogue.  Not a style that helped me immerse myself in a story I didn't really grasp anyway.

The story is told in three different times. Roman Britain, the Civil War and present day.  A sign of how badly I received this book is that I thought the modern day setting was the future for a long time.  I didn't recognise the characters at all.  I didn't care for them much either.  The only time I felt any emotion really was for the women in the Civil War era.  Without a quick look at Wikipedia I wouldn't have realised which era I was reading about at all though.  I thought at first they were other, supernatural planes.

I think either I'm too thick for this book or my mind doesn't work that way.  I just couldn't fully understand it.  I gave up once and came back to it.  Thinking a fresh mind would help.  The further I got in, the easier I found it to read but never did a fondness arrive.

If I had to say the story it's telling it seems to be one of love.  Love not going smoothly and heading towards great disappointment.

I still think Alan Garner is a wonderful creator of worlds and great stories.  It's just that this one is most definitely not for me.

2 out of 5 pawprints

Next - Twisting My Melon by Shaun Ryder


1 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds like a good one Mary. I did read The Owl Service many, many years ago and loved it.

Post a Comment