Thursday, October 20, 2011

Tome Time - Shabby Tiger by Howard Spring






Started September 3rd, finished September 5th.

I have decided to read more books based around my local area.  Manchester, Lancashire, the North West, etc.  This book is a favourite of my mum's and one I've been seeing on the shelves forever.  It was about time I read it.

The tale starts with Anna, a maid, running away from her job.  She meets up with Nick, an artist, and their story is told.  It incorporates many other characters, all of whom added interest for me.  The cast spans the Manchester classes from just above the very bottom to the top.  With those in between not always happy with their lot.  It was written and set in the 1930's.  It's still recognisable as Manchester and gives a fascinating viewpoint of the city.


None of the characters are entirely sympathetic or totally loath-able.  They're all pretty much in between.  Much like normal folk I suppose.  This isn't a dreary kitchen sink drama about the state of the nation's poor.  It gives a window into life but never dwells on anything.  This is no miserable read.  It's fun, although not so on every single page.  It rips along at a great pace.

It has encouraged me to read more about the local area.  Starting with the sequel Rachel Rosing.

Unfortunately the book is no longer in print but is available via the usual 2nd hand sellers.

It was filmed for a Granada TV series in 1973.  Luckily I managed to get a DVD from Amazon.  That is going to be interesting viewing as it was filmed where it was set.

4 out of 5 pawprints

If anyone has any recommendations for books set around the NW of Engalnd I'd love to hear them.

Next - The Cats on Hutton Roof by Marilyn Edwards

0 comments:

Post a Comment