Monday, March 15, 2010

Alice in Wonderland - Review


The decision was made to see this in 3D purely because it isn't showing on the IMAX in 2D.  I was dubious about the 3D version before I went in and seeing it didn't cure me of this.  I can't see how the 3D added to the film at all.  It took me out of the film in parts, where it was slightly disconcerting.  I'd also rather not have to wear a pair of huge glasses that dozens of other people have had on.  I know nothing about the differences between filming in 3D and 'retro-fitting'.  All I know is that if I saw this film again I would make for a 2D screen.

Rant over, I actually quite enjoyed the rest of the film.  I was disappointed by the lack of Burton's usual style of title sequence.  These were hardly noticeable.  I was looking forward to something much more inspiring.

The cast did a great job.  Both the physical actors and the voice actors.  I was glad they had cast someone I hadn't come across before as Alice.  She was instantly Alice, not someone from another role.  Helena Bonham-Carter was far too Queenie-like for my liking.  It probably worked very well for an audience too young to have seen Miranda Richardson's original in Blackadder.  It felt too much like theft to me though.  Especially as HBC is a highly competent actress who is capable of crafting her own character.  I can see how the role worked in the story though.  Matt Lucas being included in the cast didn't fill me with glee.  He did his usual kinda thing.  Which surprisingly worked very well.  Tweedledum and Tweedledee will never be my favourite characters but then again they are supposed to be a little annoying.  The Dormouse was bloody irritating.  It got on my nerves for most of it's screen time.  I would describe it's depiction in this film as 'a poor man's Reepicheep'.  Depp was great as the Hatter.  He had a much larger role in the film than I expected.  I was worried we were going to get a re-run of Captain Jack.  Thankfully I was very wrong.  Stephen Fry was as good as I'd expected as the Chesire Cat.  Which let's face it is the character I most wanted to see.  Unfortunately I hated the look of the cat.  His lines were great.  The effects they used for him were great.  Even his expressions were great.  Why oh why did they have to give him green stripes?

I liked the update on the original story.  Although nothing can improve on the book I really enjoyed this film.  It's not my favourite Burton film and will never be at the top of any of my lists but it was good fun.  One of the final scenes didn't really work for me.  It just didn't sit right at all but as it was such a small part of it I can get over it.

3.5 pawprints.  It lost one for the annoying 3D but it gained half back due to it containing monkeys :-)

1 comments:

Paul said...

Hi Mary, I think that's a fair review. Though to be honest with you, I didn't connect Queenie with HBC. Depp was excellent and although I loved that there was such a strong British voice cast I thought the vast majority were unrecognisable until the credits rolled at the end (Paul Whitehouse was the March Hare and Michael Sheen the White Rabbit. Really??).

I thought the actress playing Alice worked very well for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I saw it in 2D and visually I thought it was stunning. I can't see how the 3D process would have added anything to it except on a superficial level (which was exactly my opinion of Avatar 3D. I took my glasses off halfway through and I actually preferred it).

Not the best Burton film but still great fun and vastly more entertaining than the over-developed Smurfs in Cameronville.

Post a Comment