Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Shutter Island (spoilers hidden and clearly marked)


This was the second half of last Wednesday's double bill.  Orange Wednesday is never a good time to visit the cinema but we had no other night free.  I was amazed that the screen we were in was completely full.  I haven't seen that, outside an IMAX screening, before.  I wonder what the big draw was?  Scorsese? Dicaprio? Luckily we got a good seat without too many mutterers and phone checkers nearby.

It's pretty obvious from the outset that this is Scorsese's 'Noir'.  It's got all the signs, the looming shots, the oppressive soundtrack, the dialogue.  Everything that makes a film slightly ridiculous without destroying your enjoyment.  My only complaint at the beginning was the Foghorn soundtrack.  If it had continued at that level throughout the film I would have had a serious headache.  It was just a touch too much.

The film looks great.  Modern gloss on a 1950's setting worked.  It reminded me of how good Mad Men looks.  To an inexpert eye the period detail was great.  Even though the film itself had a modern shine to it I was in the 1950's throughout.

I liked the cast.  They all carried out their task admirably.  Ruffalo is usually really easy to watch and he definitely was in this.  I just warm to him on screen.  Kingsley steals the scenes he's in.  He's brilliant, the best thing about the film for me. DiCaprio holds his own and does his role justice.  It['s always nice to see van Sydow in a film.  I haven't seen him in anything for ages.  None of the cast are greedy, they all fulfill their role and let the rest do the same.

There are some harrowing scenes of Dakow concentration camp which bring you back to earth with a bang.  Giving an odd seriousness to a film which otherwise I don't take too seriously.

It's and old theme that's been done many times before.  A locked house scenario, based in an asylum filled with dangerous inmates.  It's a credit to Scorsese that I never found it tedious, not even from the start.  As the film develops it seems to become more and more crazy.  My words as I left the cinema were "It was bat-shit crazy but I loved it".  I did feel slightly uncomfortable that I'd thoroughly enjoyed a film that included some harrowing scenes.

Spoilers below, roll over to highlight.

The end of the film wasn't what you'd call a particularly clever twist but it worked for me.  Though I did keep expecting another twist it never arrived.  The end of the film was quite harrowing.  Again bringing you back down to sombre territory.


I never did understand why it had to end in the lighthouse.  Is that what Dicaprio's character needed or was it cinematic license?  I'm beginning to think that lighthouses are like monkeys.  They always add a little extra to a film :-)

End of spoilers.

4 out of 5 pawprints.  Utterly insane but roll with it and it's very enjoyable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment