Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tome Time - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo


This was my first bandwagon jump of the year.  No-one had recommended this book to me but it had become impossible to escape the buzz about it.  The release of the film only heightening this.  Decision time, watch the film or invest the time in the book.  We all know books are more rewarding but I have a 'to read' pile rivalling Pisa's tourist attraction.  As I'm fond of European detective fiction I decided to read the book then decide on whether to see the film.  As I wasn't going to be near any book shops soon and time was of the essence I took a new route.  This is the first book I've read on the 'Kindle App'.

I'm not sure why it was thought necessary to change the title for an English-speaking audience.  I'd be interested to know what the title is in other parts of Europe.  Though I have to admit Men who Hate Women doesn't exactly suck me in.  I do prefer books to be translated rather than altered.

I did enjoy this book even though there were some harsh, graphic scenes depicted.  The author is obviously banging a drum against violence against women as well as telling a tale.  Throughout the book there are frightening statistics concerning women and violence.  To see a man tackling this subject is rather pleasing.  Though I found the story entertaining and didn't tire of the book I din't find his style suited me as much as other authors.  Mankell being a prime example.  His depiction of people was great.  Not so great was the depiction of places.  I never got the feel for the areas in the book that the action takes place.

The 'heroine' was an interesting character.  A troubled, yet highly intelligent young woman who is as difficult for the audience to understand as her fellow characters.  The parts about her were my favourite parts of the book.  As the two sequels also focus on her I will definitely be reading them before too long.    Weirdly I hope that we don't come around to fully understanding her character.  That seems to be part of her 'charm'.

The 'hero' is also a likeable character.  With relationships that seem destined to complicate his life.  Part of the reason I liked the book is because people are faced with 2 bad options.  Which option they'd choose and why I found interesting.  The book isn't neatly tied up in the final chapter.  We know enough to not feel we've wasted our time investment but it feels real.  There should never be a perfect rainbow at the end of such a gruesome tale. I wonder how much of journalist is similar to the author.  As the author is also a journalist. 

3.5 pawprints out of 5.  Roll on the film.  Though it's doubtful it will be a patch on the book, they rarely are :-(

0 comments:

Post a Comment