Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Britfilm - Burke & Hare


This was supposed to be a restorative tonic on a Sunday afternoon.  I was suffering from wine flu and needed a little light entertainment.

I'm not a big Simon Pegg fan.  I think once you've seen one of his characterisations, you've pretty much seen most of his repertoire.  I am however a huge fan of Andy Serkis' work.  That and it being a film by the director of An American Werewolf in London hinted at a fine piece of screen filling.

Once I started to watch I was pretty amazed by the quality of the cast they had brought together.  Favourites of mine included Tim Curry, Tom Wilkinson, Jessica Hynes, David Schofield and the magnificent Sir Christopher Lee.  There are plenty more quality names in there too.  Let alone the people who came forward for cameos.  There's a cracking hound in there too.

However, I just can't rate this film highly.  The cast all looked like they had a fun time working on this.  It just doesn't do credit to its cast.  The film lacks the humour I so enjoyed in American Werewolf and is just silly.  No-one lets the side down really it just didn't make me laugh very often.  I was very disappointed overall.

I did wonder when I first heard they were making this film how they could successfully make a comedy with the subject matter.  That side of things wasn't too badly done really.  It didn't ever seem as offensive as it could have been.  It just wasn't dark enough for me.  I could always see where I was supposed to laugh but it just didn't amuse me as it should have done.  The laughs were too predictably placed.  It was silly but it had no clever side to it.  Maybe I was in a miserable mood?  I won't be giving it another chance though.

2 out of 5 pawprints.

0 comments:

Post a Comment