Thursday, September 29, 2011

Deathtrap at Oldham Coliseum





This is the season opener at Oldham Coliseum Theatre.  It's described as a hilariously twisted comedy thriller.

I did quite enjoy the play but I had a couple of grumbles.

The cast were the best thing about the production.  It's always good to see Max from Brookside, especially when he's playing a role well :-)  The cast played the roles just a little OTT which is what the play required.  However these kind of plays are not my favourite kind of plays.  The best in the play was Helen Kay who plays 'the wife'.  Apparently she's also done some Big Finish stuff.  She was very convincing and had a great physical but subtle way of expressing her feelings.

The plot is great at its twists and turns.  That is definitely the best thing about the script.  My main grumble was that it went on just a bit too long.  I think I'm getting more impatient as I get older.  The endings went on too long for me.  They tied everything up well but seemed tacked on.

The set was done very well.  One of the best I've seen at the Coliseum.  It was the perfect setting and represented the characters well.

I didn't know that Rosemary's Baby was originally an Ira Levin novel until I read the programme.  That's one I'll have to look up soon.

I'd give this 3.5 pawprints out of 5.  It was done very well but wasn't quite to my taste.

Next on the season ticket is Equus.  I've informed my theatre buddies what we'll be seeing in that! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment