Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tome Time - The Death of a Mafia Don by Michele Giuttari





Started August 21st, finished August 24th

This is my favourite so far of this author's books.  Either he is getting better or I'm getting more accustomed to his style.

This is a very Italian crime novel.  Looking into the Mafia and what surrounds them.  The author is still enjoying planting the character he seems to write himself as at the centre of everything in the world he's created.  This irritated me less in this book than the others.  Described these books could sound very similar to the Brunetti series.  In reality I'd say they're very different.  I see this author as an Alpha Male describing himself as he sees himself in these books.  The other characters aren't as well described but that doesn't really cause me problems.

I found this a good story I rolled through quite easily.  I found the final chapters a tad fantastic but I let it go.  The bit I found most irritating was the the consequences of the final chapters wasn't ever looked into.  Maybe in the next book?  This is a fun crime story that can't be read with a critical eye.  Just roll with it.  I wouldn't advise reading this without reading the book prior to this though A Death in Tuscany, as that forms the backbone of a lot of this book.

3.5 pawprints out of 5

Next - The Haunting of Gad's Hall by Norah Lofts

0 comments:

Post a Comment