Friday, January 20, 2012

Tome Time - Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain


Started December 1st, finished December 19th.  305 pages.

This was recommended by a friend.  It had been on my radar for a while so it became time to finally read it.

I wasn't disappointed.  This is a book that lives up to it's cover comments.

Bourdain has an easy, chatty writing style.  He can see his faults but without false modesty.  He tells his student (and far past student) years honestly without a male bragging style.  I don't really feel like I 'know' the author from this book but I did enjoy 'spending time in his company'.

Of course what we're all looking for is the dirt on the industry.  There's plenty in here to keep you entertained.  But what I liked most were the characters he described.  It's also ensured that I will never attempt restaurant ownership.  Bourdain doesn't give out much more personal info than Marco Pierre White did in his memoir.  However this one is a far better read.  You feel like you've shared rather than been shut out.

The author has a love for his industry and enjoys it warts and all.  It's a fascinating, entertaining read.  I've took his tips on board on what not to eat and when to avoid things but I've survived this long.  I'm never going to refuse the mussels if a place looks respectable enough.

4.5 out of 5 pawprints

Next - Cybill Disobedience - by Cybill Shepherd

1 comments:

Andy Ramus said...

Hi Mary,
my mate has recommended this to me, he used to be a chef and said this bloke has nailed it, but according to my mate, who was a chef up in London, there's plenty more to tell!, something I hope to cover with his help in the not too distant. I'll be sure to run it by you when the time comes:))

Post a Comment