Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Tome Time - The Twin Dilemma by Eric Saward


Started November 16th, Finished November 19th.

This is a readalong with Paul's Target blogging which can be found here http://goldfishandparacetamol.wordpress.com/target-books/

I had only recently suffered the TV version of The Twin Dilemma.  THis was going to be interesting.  Would I prefer it to the dramatisation, which I didn't remember being anywhere near as awful as it was...

I found the story to be written with a slightly smug edge.  The descriptions of the father character at the beginning is what highlighted this for me.  It didn't seem to gel with what I expect from a novelisation of a children's story.

It probably didn't win any love from me as I was so let down by the DVD so soon before reading it.

The character of Azmael I expected to be fleshed out a little more.  Made a little more like he can make a difference one way or the other.  I don't think he ever gives enough oomph.  No one in this story seems to fulfil a satisfying role.  I think less characters, fleshed out more may have been a better idea.  They all fail to scare me.  

All in all, this book felt cluttered and not very satisfying.  I can't see me watching or reading this story again any time in the near or middle future.

1 out of 5 pawprints

Next - March Violets



3 comments:

Paul said...

Hi Mary, sorry but I've been away the last few days and have only just seen this. Shamefully, having told you before Christmas that this was next on my list, I have been completely distracted by other books (currently reading Jon Ronson's The Psychopath Test) and haven't even glanced at The Twin Dilemma.

I feel embarrassed into getting on with. However after reading your review I'm not sure I want to!

Anonymous said...

I actually prefer the novelisation to the televised episodes. But I do agree that it does come across as very, very smug. Much like the novelisation of Slipback. Coincidence?

Unknown said...

Paul you won't have my recent watch bias, it may be easier on you!

I've not come across any Slipback in audio or novel form yet.

Post a Comment