Saturday, May 7, 2011

Book 28 of the 50 Book Challenge

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, 510 pages


Started April 27th, finished April 30th.

This book had to be read after a podcast I heard with the author by the BBC World Service Book Club.  I blogged about the podcast and it's content here.  The author came across so well and the audience had such a love for this  that it had to be read and soon.  It also stood out as perfect holiday reading.

I thought that I had already started to read this book a year or so ago.  I was wrong, it must have been a book with a similar cover.  I'm not one to usually agree with book or films that are 'over-hyped'.  This one seemed different though.  rather than people telling you how amazingly brilliant it was they tell you how much they love it.  It is an irresistable premise - A mystery, involving books, set in (post civil war) Barcelona.  

Well, I wasn't disappointed.  I loved this book.  Everything about it worked for me.  The dark, Gothic feel of it.  The description of life in Barcelona after Franco has risen to power and how things are done there.  The characters and how well they were written.  There are various characters in the book spanning all types.  All as well written as each other.  There is no schmaltzy goodies vs baddies but believable nice and not at all nice people.

This was meant to be left on holiday for other visitors to the apartment.  It came home, I need to own this book.  As well as force my family to read it so they don't miss out!  It has become an instant favourite which I'm already looking forward to reading again one day.

5 out of 5 pawprints

Total so far, Books - 28, Pages - 8,928

Next - The Help by Kathryn Stockett

2 comments:

Wolfeeboy said...

Absolutely with you there Mary, I read it some while ago, but had forgotten until I saw your review. Fantastic read!

If you haven't read it, The Glass Palace by Ahmitav Ghosh is also a bloody good book, one of my faves, starts off in pre colonial Burma, and works it's way through both history and the continent via one mans family. If you like history and fiction together you'll love it.

Unknown said...

The Glass Palace is on my 'To Read' list on Goodreads. I will get to it :-)

Post a Comment