Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Book 32 of the 50 Book Challenge

The Small Hand by Susan Hill, 167 pages


Started May 10th, finished May 13th.
 
This was another book swap with  Karode I was interested in reading the book but had always seen bigger books for the same price in the bookshop.  I got  a little tight-fisted about it.

One of my favourite plays is The Woman in Black which I saw before I read the book.  I was slightly underwhelmed by the book.  I took this to be because the play has such a sense of atmosphere.

Then I read this book.  I was a little underwhelmed by this too.  Which is a real shame as I wanted to adore this book.  As I wanted to it's predecessor.  Everyone I know loves the way she writes her 'spooky' stories but there's something which I can't quite put my finger on that takes me out of the story.  I think it may be the way the 'first person' narrates the tale.

This is a clever ghost story.  Not tied to the predictability of a lot that it shares its genre with.  It's not too long so you can fly through it.  It isn't too stylised to make you struggle with the flow.  I just didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoy other spooky tales.  Or as much as I enjoyed Susan Hill's first Simon Serailler book.  I really enjoyed that.  In fact I must pick the rest of the series up.  

3.5 out of 5 pawprints

Total so far, Books - 32, Pages -9,958

Next - Murder in the Central Committee by manuel Vasquez Montalban

0 comments:

Post a Comment