Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Book 31 of the 50 Book Challenge

Doctor Who and the Daemons by Barry Letts, 166 pages





Started May 7th, finished May 9th.

This is another of the books I've read following the Escape to Danger Target novel blog.  I have to sa tht this is my favourite Jon Pertwee TV serial.  Pertwee and Jo Grant have never been favourites of mine.  How can I not like this though.  It's Dr Who and 'Dark Magic'.  I have thios story on VHS and it's beena  very long time since I've watched it. 

This is a much better read than the last Target novel I read.  It has a proper flow and is fleshed out well enough.  I particularly liked the character of Olive Hawthorne.  I warmed to her she was slightly off it but fun.  

I used to like the Doctor's explanations of it not being magic but advanced science.  However this time it felt a little flat.  Maybe I'm getting a little miserable in my old age.  As a child, who this was aimed at, it worked perfectly for me.

The 3rd doctor doesn't come off as quite as patronising in this story.  He doesn't seem to be in it for a huge amount of time.  A lot of it focuses more on the UNIT characters than usual.  It was nice to see a bit more of them for a change.

I enjoyed reading this and I will be reading it again in the not too close future.

4 out of 5 pawprints

Total so far, Books - 31, Pages -9,791

Next - The Small Hand by Susan Hill


1 comments:

Paul said...

Glad you enjoyed it Mary. I think a lot of the patronising element of the 3rd Doctor comes from Pertwee himself. Soon find out when I get to his stuff on the podcast..!

I enjoyed The Small Hand. not as good as The Woman In Black but still very effective. Can't wait til Christmas..

http://goldfishparacetamol.blogspot.com/2011/03/winter-chills.html

Post a Comment