Friday, May 27, 2011

A Passionate Woman @ Oldham Coliseum

I knew nothing about this before I went in apart from the fact that it was written by Kay Mellor.  I had a inkling that it may be a comedy.

It started off quite well.  The main part of Betty the housewife was played by Kay Mellor herself.  The woman was quite witty and Kay played the audience really well.  At every hint of humour the row of old ladies in front began to compete on who could guffaw the longest.  Something that always irritates the hell out of me.  Mellor was good, she delayed her next line to let the OTT laughter die away so you could hear the next line.

The problems began when the other cast members arrived.  Most were played well but I just couldn't believe how the story was beginning to pan out.  It's the day of Betty's son's wedding.  Her only son who she is supposed to think the world of.

SPOILERS BELOW rollover to read

Instead of helping get her mother to the church and get everything to run smoothly.  The mother of the Groom is in the attic, cleaning and feeling sorry for herself.  Despite pleas from her son to come to teh church she just moan and whines about her own life. This is totally unbelievable if the close relationship that is set up is to be believed.  I can't stand selfish behaviour.  I despise people who try and ruin someone else's happiness or big occasions with it.  Despising the main character of a play, who's designed to win empathy or sympathy is never going to work for me.

In the first act we are introduced to a ghost.  Not that we're supposed to wonder if it's in Betty's head as he has a physical impacton other characters too.  This was the weakest link for me cast wise.  I'm unsure if it was how the role was played or how it was written but it was so lame.

This play didn't work for me on most of it's levels.  As a comedy it wasn't bad.  As a story of the supernatural it was awful.  I expect some kind of atmosphere or presence in those kind of tales.  As a tale to make you sympathise it was terrible.  I just wanted to slap Betty and tell the rest of her family they were daft to let her get away with her behaviour.

This is one of the plays I've least enjoyed at this theatre.  It does seem I am the minority though as almost everyone else seemed to be having a great time.

1.5 pawprints out of 5

0 comments:

Post a Comment