Friday, May 20, 2011

Hamlet @ Oldham Coliseum Theatre


I knew nothing of Hamlet apart from the skull, the quote and it was set in Denmark.  I was worried that the play would be difficult to follow as I hadn't read a synopsis beforehand and for some reason I had it in my head it would be more cerebral than some of his other plays.

The set was very basic.  One was used for the whole play.  This didn't bother me.  I love a lavish set but I also grew up with British 70's sci-fi :-)

The cast were using the multiple role system but they did this very well costume-wise and it wasn't confusing.  The cast did an able job but I have to see I would love to see it done by a more RSC type cast.  If it's on in Stratford I may just have to visit.

The best thing about the play for me was catching the masses of famous quotes.  Most of which I didn't realise were from this play and some of them I didn't even know were ol' Shakey.  My favourites would have to be "Get thee to a nunnery' and "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

The worst part of the play was that I found Hamlet himself very irritating.  He's a faffer not a do-er and I got the urge to slap him into action.

I do want to see this again but not for a few years I think.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

That's the problem with Hamlet, he overthinks everything. What should be a straight forward revenge play becomes a study in indecision and self-doubt. That's why I'm not a fan of Branagh's version. Branagh played the Dane as arrogant, and the one thing Hamlet was not was arrogant. Gibson's was much closer to the mark, though the editing did some weird things to the script. Methinks, as you do, that if you saw the play done by highly skilled actors, say David Tennant and Patrick Stewart, you might like it more. (the BBC did a television version of the Tennant/Stewart Hamlet about a year and a half ago. I highly recommend it.)

Post a Comment