Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Great Manchester Run: Tuesday,May 15th, 2011

If you follow me on Twitter you'll no doubt know that I was running this race ;-)  I have asked for sponsorship once or twice.

I was terrifically nervous about this race.  I hadn't run 10K until a fortnight before the race.  Then a week before the race I had to drop out of a 5K training race due to suspected shin splints.  Luckily ice and a few days rest enabled me to complete a 10.56K training run the Tuesday beforehand.  On a hilly course as well.

As there are so many people running this race it is separated into stages named 'waves'.  You are put into the appropriate wave to the time you think you can finish in.  My husband was in the first (orange) wave and set off at 10:34am.  I was in a much later wave and was able to meet him as he finished with a time of 47:09.

Then it was over to the mass gathering behind the starting line for my pink and final wave.  There's a warm up held for the runners but in the massive walk to join the back of the queue I missed most of it.  Then it was just a case of standing in the huddle for half an hour trying to keep warm and the nerves at bay.  Once the gun went off (set off by the mens winner Gebrselassie) it's a slow walk to the start line.  Luckily the chip you're given only starts measuring once you cross the mat at the start line.

Once past the start line it's hard to do more than a slow jog as there are so many people.  This spreads out as you get further along the course but I imagine it's a lot less crowded in the faster waves.  As I set off I got a half scare, half thrill of finally setting off on the race that had been hanging over me for months.

That's me in the black not long after crossing the start line.

My plan was to take it slowly and plod through it.  I had a new Garmin watch to help me control my pace which was a life saver.  Normally I start off too quickly and wear myself out far before the finish line.  I thought I would have to take a few walking breaks as I'd never completed 5K without one before.  The course is very flat.  There is hardly any climb at all.  I'm used to training in Oldham where it is virtually impossible to avoid climbs.  So in that way I was well prepared.  As I plodded along I began to quite enjoy it.  On the first long straight you're encouraged along by Bands on the Run, a group playing live music.  

After 4K you come to Man Utd's ground in Old Trafford, quite an inspirational sight the day after their 19th title win.  Around the corner I was given a push by Clint Boon in his Boon Army hut, playing James' Come Home.  That's a feeling I won't forget.  It's in Old Trafford that I began to see how Manchester has changed.  You get a real sense of it's history. Running through what was the world's first Industrial Park you turn a corner to see Libeskind's Imperial War Museum building.  Still shining despite the rainy skies.  Across the road is the Hovis Flour Mill one of Trafford Park's original buildings.

After you once again pass Man Utd's ground it's back onto the long straight again, in the return direction.  Once again Bands on the Run are there for a boost.  It's more or less a long straight road to the finish line form here.  Near the end there is a Bupa Boost Zone where you're offered Jelly Babies. It's the first time in my life I haven't taken up the offer of a Jelly Baby!

My plan was to make it to the end without stopping for a walking break.  At 8K my legs were beginning to get really tired.  I still managed to keep up my pace though.  The worst part was at 800m from the end.  My legs were threatening full rebellion.  They kept going though.  I was ecstatic that I made it to the finish line without having to walk any of the way.  That was a huge milestone for me.  Though it was helped by the flatness off the course.  My only disappointment was my finishing time.  I had wanted to finish in 1hr 20m.  I missed out by 36 seconds.

I have to say that I was surprised at how emotional an experience this was for.  Running through your home city and achieving something you never thought you'd be capable of gives you a real high.

Without my iPod I would have struggled I think.  My Garmin watch was a Godsend, it kept my pace even.  There was very little difference in my pace in each kilometre.

Thanks has to go to my Personal Trainer who has helped with my preparation.  But the major thanks goes to my husband without whom I could't have done it.  He has helped me every step of the way.  Running with me, advising me and being a huge support.

Big thanks to everyone who sponsored me.

Now it's onto next year and hopefully a much better time.....

Have I ever felt more relieved? Doubtful.





0 comments:

Post a Comment