Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Book 34 of the 50 Book Challenge

The Overlook by Michael Connelly, 291 pages


Started May 21st, finished May 22nd.

 I started reading this a few years ago when it was serialised in The New York Times.  As we don't get the paper here I had to print it off from their website.  This style of reading got to me so I gave it up to wait for it to be released as a book.


As I'd already read a substantial amount of the book I took it with me on a trip to London.  I didn't want any difficulties getting into it as I snatched bits here and there between tube stations.  I was actually surprised by how much I had read of it.  

The book plays on the modern fear of a dirty bomb but in an unexpected fashion.  the book is easy to fly through as it reads very easily.  The two main characters are already familiar to anyone who follows Harry Bosch.  The other characters are pretty stereotypical and don't need much fleshing out for the parts they play in the book.

All in all I enjoyed the book.  I'd have to say there isn't much meat to get your teeth into.  It's the most lightweight Connelly I've read but there's plenty mopre out there to satisfy my hunger.  I found the conclusion  not what I was expecting so that was a bonus.  But it was a little over dramatic in parts.  This isn't one I'll read again.  I don't see it having a huge effect on further Bosch novels either.


3.5 out of 5 pawprints

Total so far, Books - 34, Pages -10,452

Next - The Cats of Moon Cottage by Marilyn Edwards

0 comments:

Post a Comment