Monday, June 13, 2011

Book 38 of the 50 Book Challenge

The White Mountains by John Christopher, 147 pages



Started June 4th, finished June 5th.

This is the first of my favourite set of books from when I was a child.  The books and the TV serials are wonderful memories for me that I like to relive from time to time.

The reason for the current re-read was that they were discussed on Twitter.  Myself and Kiraniumbra convinced Jacob and Karode to read the books and watch the tv series.  With strict advice to read the books first.  It tweaked me into re-reading them myself.  So off I went to pick the trilogy and the prequel from my parents' house.  My mother and I cannot fully agree on who has custody of these books ;-)

It's a really easy book to fly through.  They are childrens'  Sci-Fi fiction so they were never going to be tough.  However they don't belittle the reader's intelligence in any way.  Which is always going to be a turn off for a young reader anyway.

The book is told from the point of view of Will.  A petulant 13 year old.  He doesn't hide from his faults as he tells the story.  The tale is set in the not too distant future.  Where Earth has been over taken by Tripods, massive machines.  Technology has gone back a couple of centuries and is back to horse and cart and flour mills.  When a person reaches the age of 14 a Tripod comes for them and they are 'capped'.  When Will's cousin is capped he becomes much more distant from Will.  This and the arrival of a strange man in the village give Will doubts about his willingness to be capped... 


 To learn more of Will and his adventures pick up the book.  Go on, it's brilliant!

5 out of 5 pawprints


Total so far, Books - 38, Pages -11,620 

Next - The White Mountains by John Christopher


5 comments:

Wolfeeboy said...

Hi Mary,
I'd never heard of this story before, but it sounds like a great premise, like a childrens version of Loguns Run in a way. If I ever get through my current welt of half read books I'll keep an eye out for this set.

Paul said...

It's a great trilogy, I can't believe it seems that only you and I have read it, Mary :)

Such a shame they never made the third series for TV. I keep hearing a film version being on the cards, but it never seems to get anywhere...

Unknown said...

We've assimilated Karode and Jacob into reading and watching via Twitter-pressure. Wolf E Boy will be assimilated soon too ;-)

Anonymous said...

Just finished the 3rd book today :-)
Indeed a great little series very well written!
Thank you twitter-pressure for making me want to read it!
Now... what next?

Unknown said...

Next is When the Tripods Came, the prequel. :-)

Post a Comment