Friday, June 17, 2011

Book 39 of the 50 Book Challenge

A Death in Tuscany by Michele Giutarri, 381 pages



Started June 6th, finished June 10th.

This is the second book in the series.  The author is writing a novel based on his experiences as the chief of the Florence 'Flying Squad'.  The character even has the same first name as he does.  When he's telling the story it's a good read.  There are little bits here and there that seem too much about him though and they irritated me a little.  As the story gets going these tail off.

The story begins with the death of a young unidentified girl.  Never a nice place to begin.  It has plenty of twists and turns.  The inevitable 'hero coming up against the system' parts.  It also has some dark subject matter.  This is dealt with well though.  The horrible tale is told but without any unnecessary dwelling on the horrific parts.  

The story shows the differences Italians feel between the old states.  Also the way Europe is changing.  The differences between the Italian regions fascinates me.  I never tire of it being brought up in novels.

All in all this is a good story that, once it finds its feet, rips along at a good pace.  I'm not sure how fanciful some of the plot points are.  I'm not entirely sure I found them all believable but it didn't hinder my enjoyment.  I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.

4 out of 5 pawprints


Total so far, Books - 39, Pages -12,001

Next - Remembrance of the Daleks by Ben Aaronovitch


3 comments:

Adam said...

You are almost there! Only 11 books to go till the magic 50. You should be done in a couple of months at this rate.

Unknown said...

I think I'm a little bit behind on page count though. I'm gonna have to stick a few longer ones in :-)

Adam said...

I haven't been keeping an eye on my pagecount to be honest but I am only on Book 32 so far. I just think getting to 50 books is an achievement in itself.

Post a Comment