Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tome Time - Doctor Who The Tomb of the Cybermen by Gerry davis


Started Sept 30th, finished Oct 2nd.

This is a follow along with  Paul's Blog.  Pop over there.  His reviews are usually in much more depth.

I was looking forward to this one.  I hadn't read it before and it's one of my favourite stories.  Luckily I had missed the hype before I saw it.

The pedant in me was dismayed by the wrong Cybermen on the cover.  I'm very fond of the very early Cybermen and they shouldn't be airbrushed out!

I have heard that there are slight updates in the Target novel to update it for a more modern audience.  Since we're now even further on those updates were a little lost to me.  I have to say I couldn't find much difference between the text and the TV version. 

The story was told well.  Built most of it's character's up at a good pace.  If I had to choose between the book and the TV version I'd take the TV version.  That's rare for me but 'those iconic scenes' just don't come across as well in the book.

I enjoyed this telling a lot although the excitement is never there when you know how it all ends.  I'd say it's one of the better re-tellings.  It's just a shame I never read it as a kid.  Unless I've forgotten that I did.

4 out of 5 pawprints

Next - When the Tripods Came by John Christopher

5 comments:

Paul said...

Aww. It's a shame you didn't enjoy this as much as the others. As I said in my review, I read it before seeing the TV version so, much like it's predecessors, it has a strong hold over me :)

The Twin Dilemma is next on my list. However Celia Imrie's memoir "The Happy Hoofer" has just arrived, so I'm going to read that first. Looks like Andrew Rawnsley's New Labour tome "The End of the Party" will have to wait that little bit longer...

Unknown said...

Twin Dilemma has just arrived here....

I'd love to know what you think of Rawnsley's book. I reckon Imrie's will be more fun though.

Paul said...

Have you read it then? It's sitting on my shelf, tempting me. But it will have to wait...

Unknown said...

No, I want to read it but I just haven't got the stomach for hardcore political stuff while I'm this busy. It has to be lighter at this time of year.

Adnams said...

This is a pretty good novel but doesn't top the heights that Davis' Doctor Who and the Cybermen does.

I read this many, many years ago and was quite disappointed when I finally got around to watching the tv version as a result!

Post a Comment