Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tome Time - Nine Dragons by Michael Connelly


Started September 26th, finished October 6th.

I'm always glad to be starting a new Michael Connelly novel, especially if it's a Harry Bosch story.

This starts with Harry looking into a robbery/murder.  Whilst not being too happy with his partner's work ethic. From there it twists and turns and twists and turns.

This is by far the most 'action' of Connelly's novels that I've read.  It's also the first time I've come sort of close to disbelief.  However, it didn't mar my enjoyment of the story.  I do kind of hope it's not the first of a run of movie style books about Harry.

This looks into things that are new for Harry.  It takles a look at the Immigrant Community and the darker side of that than we've seen before.  Harry leaves LA.  He learns much more about being a father.

I won't go into the plot any more as it would be difficult to do so without spoilers.  Whilst I was reading the book certain things didn't add up for Harry as he was working things out.  It was the same for me.  Stick with it though.  It all makes sense in the end.

There are big shocks in this book.  Connelly certainly doesn't pull any punches.  This is a whirlwind of a story.  One I enjoyed but I'm not sure it would work trying to find similar situations for Bosch to recover from again.  I like his ordinariness.

Harry's life is certainly changed by the happenings in this book.  Much more than we've seen things change before.  I'm interested to see how his story progresses.

3.5 out of 5 pawprints

Next - The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde

0 comments:

Post a Comment