Monday, November 14, 2011

Tome Time - Twisting My Melon by Shaun Ryder


Started September 27th, Finished September 30th

Now, I knew before I borrowed this book from the library the risk I was taking.  They say you should never meet your idols.  Though no-one in the right mind would cast Ryder as an idol.)  I would add to that, be very wary of the memoirs of those characters you find interesting.  Hearing someone tell their story always alters your perception of them.  Sometimes, as with Mandelson, you are pleasantly surprised.  Others and I think a little more often they disappoint.  That's probably because they're human and I've built up an image I like to think of them as in my mind.  The worst was Gordon Ramsay, I read his autobio and liked him a lot less once I'd finished.  I then read Marco Pierre White's and was amazed how he'd managed to write a book about himself, I'd read it and I knew very little more afterwards.  he managed to hide his true self behind words.

Now Shaun Ryder, the local legend I grew up hearing about.  Star of many a scandalised newspaper article.  Centre of many urban myths.  The man who seemed to epitomise the Madchester dream.  I knew very little past the facade that had been erected around him and his bands.  I didn't watch I'm a Celebrity.

I knew reading this would give the legend back the bog standard humanity.  The question was would I like what I read?  In truth, it didn't give me huge feelings either way.  He cam across as pretty selfish at times but not too badly.  It would be nice to read an account from someone else in the band.  He's not too complimentary about most of them.  Without ever seeming to see that he must have been hell to work and tour with.

He tells his story pretty light heartedly.  The scrapes he gets himself into are far from funny but the way he tells it you can't help but see an amusing side.  It's written well by him and his ghost writer in that you can fly through it.  This isn't a book to ponder over and weigh up the morals.  That would be painful.  Pick it up, go along for the ride and enjoy it.  Just be glad he can remember as much as he has!

3.5 pawprints out of 5

Next - Doctor Who and the Tomb of the Cybermen by Gerry Davis

0 comments:

Post a Comment