Thursday, November 24, 2011

Tome Time - The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving


Started October 16th, finished October 16th.

This was an impulse 'free for Kindle' Amazon download.  I fully intend to exhaust their free ebooks that tickle my fancy.  Suggestions are mroe than welcome :-)

I love this film but I'm afraid to say I hadn't read the book first.  When the film was released I didn't even know there was a book.  

I wasn't surprised to find the book much 'quieter' than the film.  It hadn't been 'Burtoned'.

The tsory tells of Ichabod Crane.  A lanky, superstitious guy who isn't ever going to be part of the 'in crowd'.  He is sent to the small hamlet of Sleepy Hollow as a schoolteacher.  Here he falls for a girl who is seemingly way out of his league.  I won't tell you any more.  It's a short enough tale to enjoy in one sitting and i think worth a read.

The book is spooky with a sense of fun.  Just the right length to tell the somewhat open-ended tale.  It is definitely one I will read again.  None of the characters are fleshed out very much.  The style is more the telling of a folk tale.

4 out of 5 pawprints

Next - Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C Clarke

0 comments:

Post a Comment