Monday, March 28, 2011

Book 18 of the 50 Book Challenge

The Lincoln Lawyer  by Michael Connelly, 446 pages


Started March 19th, finished March 20th

I had decided to try and finish this challenge with no more re-reads and no more book buying.  I wanted to read those that had been festering for yonks on my shelves.  I was failing at the no-buying bit and then I found out that the film adaptation of The Lincoln Lawyer was out very soon.  That trumped my earlier decision as I didn't want to miss it in cinemas and to see it I had to refresh my memory of the book first.

I had forgotten nearly all the plot.  I think when it comes to books and films I have severe memory problems.  I enjoyed the read.  Nice to see Connelly explore LA's underbelly from a different angle.  There did seem to be a lot of cliches in there. Not sure whether the cliches are in such abundance in reality that they must be included.  I can't really judge there.

I have to give full disclosure here.  I'm probably very biased.  Connelly is one of my favourite authors.  I find his books incredibly easy to read and I like the characters he invents.  I was lucky enough to see him give a talk at Waterstone's once and he comes across as a thoroughly likable man.

Maybe a few parts of the plot in this are predictable.  Some a little far-fetched but I really enjoyed reading it.  I can see why Hollywood have got their dirty paws on it.  It could make a good film.  I just hope and pray that they don't do to it what they did to Blood Work.  That film made me so angry!

So fingers crossed for McConaghey's efforts....

4 out of 5 pawprints

Total so far, Books - 18, Pages - 5,324 

Next - Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde




1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me!
Maybe it should be on our next swap! :-)

Looking forwards to read what you think of Shades of Grey!

Post a Comment