Wednesday, March 30, 2011

BritFilm - Submarine


I'd kept myself in the dark as much as possible about this film.  I'd heard it was directed by The IT Crowd's Moss and that it was about a self-obsessed teen, set in 1980's small town Wales.

I try my best to get to the cinema to see British films as much as I can.  Not always easy as they don't often have a long run.  But that's an old. often hashed gripe.

The first thing I noticed about this film was how beautifully some of the scenes were shot.  It looks absolutely lovely most of the time.  The use of the light is lovely.

The two leads are excellent.  They play their dry roles brilliantly. Both are slightly separate from the norm without becoming unbelievable.  The depiction of school life seems pretty apt.  No pretence when it comes to how self-interested and cruel teens can be.  The 3 main adult roles are played very well too.  Considine is great as a bit of an arsehole.  I'd say the whole film is slightly off from real life but maybe I've just had a sheltered life.  It's quirky without it being annoying.

The film is told in chapters.  Between each the screen fades to red or blue.  If there's a relevance to the colours I wish I could figure it out.  I;m glad I saw this at the cinema as it needed my attention.  It's one of those 'slow' films it's so easy not to give the attention they deserve at home.

For such a deadpan film it is very amusing in parts.  Although some of the times I was amused I shouldn't really have been finding those things funny :-S

The film flips pretty easily over the emotional happenings that occur.  Still giving the audience a chance to sympathise though.  I have to say if I had a son like Oliver I think I'd be rather spooked out by him.  He, his reactions and actions creeped me out somewhat.

My only complaint about the film was that it seemed to drag a little during the last third.  I can't pick any bits I would have removed but I was beginning to wonder how long it would be until the end.  I did enjoy this film but I can't see me buying the DVD when it's available.  I will be watching Richard Ayoade's next feature though.

3.5 out of 5 pawprints

1 comments:

Andy Ramus said...

Thanks for the review Mary,
doesn't sound like my bag, and I have had my ear out for an opinion on it, so you've done me a favour. I'll wait until it hits TV so I can switch over if, or when, it confirms my worst held beliefs.

Ta :))
Wolf E Boy

Post a Comment