Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Stepping Out at Oldham Coliseum


The first show this season is a tale of a tap dancing class.  It didn't stand out as one for me really.  I have no interest or knowledge of tap dancing at all.

I was very pleasantly surprised.  I had one of most enjoyable nights at the theatre.  This was one of the funniest plays I've seen.  Not the 'laugh here' type play where everyone else is guffawing and I'm not impressed with the predictable line.  But genuine laughs.  

The major coup here seems to be the cast.  Everyone inhabited their character perfectly.  I believed in each one, even though a lot was played for laughs.  There was a definite lack of 'theatricality' about them.  Each one was someone you knew.  Each character was kept even whilst the focus was on others.  All those personal movements stayed there all the time they were on stage.  

The second half had some moments of feeling in.  Though it never strayed into pulling at the heartstrings, you felt for these characters you hadn't had long to get to know.  This could on;y have worked with a cast this good.

The final act was just splendid.  I won't say any more though, go and see it for yourself.  Box Office info here - http://coliseum.org.uk/who-are-we/box-office/

The cocktail of the play was a 'Dancing Mojito' and a damn good mojito it was too :-)

My only complaint was that the 'rough' character had exactly the same gym bag as me!

5 out of 5 pawprints.  This is as good as The Road to Nab End was though very different.

0 comments:

Post a Comment