Thursday, March 31, 2011

Book 19 of the 50 Book Challenge

Shades of Grey  by Jasper Fforde, 432 pages


Started March 21st, finished March 26th

This is the 3rd of my Book Swap tomes.  It is not an author I'd heard of before.  Though since I've had this book he's been popping up everywhere.

At first I couldn't decide what to make of this book.  I think maybe I was looking too hard for metaphors and meanings.  If you read this book I'd suggest you just let it flow.  My style didn't help me enjoy the book.

It seemed to be a similar book to 1984 at first.  Just a little weirder.  The book seems to be set in the future after some catastrophic event.  An event that has ended civilisation as we know it.  Civilisation has begun again but very differently to the one we know now.  The most important factor in everything is colour.  Every person within the civilised world belongs to a colour group.  With each group having a level, similar to the caste system.

It's fun to pick up the references that refer to life as we are living it now.    The book is a good mix of intriguing hints and a love story.  I did think the two main characters were well written.  The extra characters I didn't really think were fleshed out as well.  They were a bit caricature like.  I'm not sure if this is meant to be so or as a result of so much work going into building the world the book is set in.

I am interested enough in the world and the main characters to say that I will definitely be reading the planned sequel.  Unless that's a drop in quality also the planned third book in the trilogy.

I like a book I'm thinking about once I've put it down.  This is definitely one outside my comfort zone.  I have to thank My friend Karode for this as she's the one who lent it to me.

3.5 out of 5 pawprints


Total so far - Books 19, Pages - 5,756

Next - Doctor Who and the Cybermen by Gerry Davis

4 comments:

Paul said...

I'm a big Jasper Fforde fan and loved Shades of Grey. I'm really looking forward to the follow-up. Although I'd love a third book in his Nursery Crimes series too...

By the way, have you learned to travel in time? Looking at the dates it appears that you finished this book before you started it! :D

Unknown said...

Oops, that's what copying and pasting to get the correct format gets you *heads to the TARDIS

Anonymous said...

I am happy you "kind of" liked it and liked it enough to want to read the sequel.
One of the reasons I so liked this book is all his games on words using colours such as "chasing the green" referencing "chasing the dragon" etc as you said it was fun to pick up all these references.
My librarian at school pointed it to me and I can't thank her enough and I am really looking forwards to his next book (2014 seems a long time to go though :-( )
Maybe I should check his other works mentioned by Paul while I am waiting...

Anonymous said...

Me again!
I think I misquoted my reason for liking the book... I think it should have been "To chase the frog" rather than "the green"... I obviously need to re read the book! :-)
Right now I think I know why Night Nurse is green though :-)!

Post a Comment