Friday, April 1, 2011

The Lincoln Lawyer - Film Review


I was very nervous going into this film.  Connelly is one of my favourite authors.  I was thrilled to see Blood Work had been adapted for screen.  Until I saw it.  I was appalled.  Eastwood had taken the story and ripped it's guts out.

The watching began well.  The retro credit sequence had me interested straight away.  Funnily enough it was reminiscent of Zen's opening credits .  It was also the start of a great soundtrack.

I haven't seen McConaughey in anything for years.  Romantic comedies aren't really my bag.  I was dubious about what he would put on the screen before I went in.  My fears were unfounded.  He wasn't doing his 'poor man's Harrelson' he had the role spot on.  He portrayed the charm and the guile necessary.  

The entire cast was very 'typecast'.  They were all playing their typical roles.  In this instance though it worked perfectly.  I wouldn't have re-cast anyone.

Having just re-read the book I was on the lookout for alterations.  Yeah I know, I'm supposed to enjoy a film not disect it!  There were the odd changes here and there but they were minimal.  It was more a case of dropping the parts that weren't necessary to tell the tale.  The story stayed the same.

As I said I thought it was a great soundtrack.  It fitted the film perfectly.  Upbeat and keeping the flow more than a meaningful score.  This is the first time I've purchased a full soundtrack in a very long time.

I get the impression this wasn't a big budget picture.  What they did with the budget I really enjoyed though.  No flashy courtroom sets but wonderful shots here and there of LA.  The story rolls on at a good pace with no 'cinematic self-indulgences'.  The finale scenes aren't dragged out. Just finishing the story off well.  

I really enjoyed this film.  It adapted a book well and kept my interest totally.

4.5 stars out of 5   but that's a biased opinion ;-)  Not everyone will enjoy this as much as I.

The trailer


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this review!
I was thinking of going to see it and I think I will now!
Well... when I am better... maybe tomorrow?

Post a Comment