Monday, April 4, 2011

Book 20 of the 50 Book Challenge

Doctor Who and the Cybermen  by Gerry Davis, 144 pages


Started March 26th, finished March 27th

I have been following a friend's blog on the Doctor Who Target novels. Great favourites of my youth and probably the biggest reason for my love of the Doctor Who universe.  Paul's blog can be found at http://doctorwhotarget.blogspot.com/  The latest on his random run through is Doctor Who and the Cybermen. 

I have to be honest here.  I'm totally biased when it comes to this series of books.  I've never found one I don't like.  This novel in question happens to be my favourite.  It was only recently I got to see part of the televised version of the story.  As you'd expect it didn't quite live up to what I'd constructed in my childhood imagination.

The story has the 2nd Doctor, Ben, Polly, Jamie and Cybermen.  Now I wish they hadn't given that away in the title and prologue.  I realise it's a children's book so a little explanation helps.  However I think this would have been a lot more effective minus the giveaway title and prologue.  The first part of the book has a very dark, Gothic, dangerous mystery feel to it.  It may be set on a futuristic Moonbase but it harks back to the best of Gothic suspense.

It's the first part of the book that's stuck in my head over time.  That and the tea tray incident.  I was surprised at how much else had removed itself from my memorybanks.  Given how often I've read this book in the past.  Not for a while though so maybe that's why.

I've always loved the companions Ben and Jamie.  I love the way Ben interacts with Polly.  As they are separate for most of the story you don't get crowded Tardis syndrome.  The Doctor isn't give a whole heap of things to do here.  It's more of a group cast than usual.

I did find it sweet that in the 'future' the poor swines had to eat futuristic dried food but coffee still came in filter bags.  Visions of the future from out past always fascinate me.

The addition of illustrations in the Target novels is always welcome.  I do wish however they would put them after the scene in question not before.

I can't say it's a groundbreaking tale but to me it's one well told.  It's short and snappy as are most of the Target novels.  If you've a spare couple of hours and have any interest in the subject give it a whizz through.

5 out of 5 pawprints (from a very biased reader)

Total so far, Books - 20, Pages - 5,900

Next - How Not to Run a Club by Peter Hook



3 comments:

Paul said...

Haha! I love a well reasoned argument :D

It's funny how some of these stay with you as you get older. There are certain of the Target books I would read over and above actually watching the TV shows, as they were the way I first experienced those particular stories and the TV version will never match up to what my imagination delivered.

Thanks for the plug. Don't suppose you could link to me on the left hand side of your blog, could you? Pretty please...? x

Paul said...

Oh... I see that you already have :D Cheers!

Anonymous said...

This was the first Target novel I ever bought so it will always be special to me, but it isn't a bad book either, so when I re-read it this year it was still very enjoyable.

Post a Comment