Friday, April 29, 2011

Satin and Steel @ Oldham Coliseum Theatre


I'll have to be honest.  I wasn't looking forward to this.  I'm not a fan of 'club entertainment'.  It's just not my thing.

However this was the perfect setting for this story.  It was anything but the story that I was expecting to unfold.  It was well told and very well acted.  Roxanne Pallett was great as Teena, the local girl with a voice.  She was a pleasure to watch.  Matt Healy was brilliant as Vince for the opposite reason.  He came across perfectly as the sleazyish lounge singer wannabe.  He really did give me the creeps.

I really felt for Teena.  You know how when your heart breaks for someone.  That doesn't happen to me too often in the theatre.

The script had been altered slightly to set it in Oldham.  I think this was a great touch, done very well.  You really could vision the characters.

One of the topics raised shocked me.  I didn't expect it to be seen at the Oldham Coliseum.  Credit to them that they were happy to broach the subject.

All in all I'd say this was an excellent play.  Go see it.  Book your tickets on 0161 624 2829  The Oldham Coliseum is http://www.coliseum.org.uk/

This was directed by  Joyce Branagh.  And yes, it is nice to have Kenneth's sister at our local theatre ;-)

4 out of 5 pawprints

0 comments:

Post a Comment