Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Book 22 of the 50 Book Challenge

The Tattoo Murder Case  by Akimitsu Takagi, 324 pages


Started March 31st, finished April 5th

The book is another borrow.  This time from my dad.  The provider of a hell of a lot of my reading material :-)

I knew this was a crime novel set in post-war occupied Tokyo.  I pre-judged this to mean that it would be very dark.  Although murder is never a light topic this book can't really be described as dark.  It's definitely got humour.

The descriptions of the Japanese art of tattooing and its results were wonderful.  They sound absolutely wonderful.  Much more interesting than the Western style.  I would love to see one in real life.

The characters in this book are great.  It was an easy job to get to know them.  They all added a little to the telling of the tale.

The mystery is well set-up.  The solving of the mystery is excellent.  It takes plenty of time and gives you a great ride through the book.  I had my suspicions on the guilty party but not how they'd done it.  It was interesting to see it explained.  With a few surprises thrown in.  The author left me wanting to read more about these characters.  Always a good thing.

4.5 out of 5 pawprints

Total so far, Books - 22, Pages - 6,546

Next - A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin


2 comments:

andy ramus said...

Hi Mary, here's one for you to check out, 'The Glass Palace' by Amitav Ghosh. One of the best books I've read, starts in colonial India/Burma, and takes you through three generations to after the second world war. You won't regret reading it, I promise.

Unknown said...

Added it to my Goodreads account so I don't fprget the title. Sounds right up my mum's street too :-) Thanks for the tip

Post a Comment