Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Source Code (Spoilers Hidden)


I've been looking forward to this.  I thought Moon was wonderful.  

Duncan Jones seems to have gone for a similar technique here.  Sourcing the right actors for the piece and not blowing a budget on huge sets and special effects.  Things are bigger here but not massively so.  The main growth is the size of the cast.  Though this is kept pretty small with good casting.

Gyllenhaal ties the whole film together well.  He's a likable screen presence you feel for and believe in.  Neither Farmiga or Monaghan drop the ball either.  It can't have been an easy film to keep your ball up in the air.  Due to they type of the tale they're telling.

I was surprised how much the story kept my attention due to the way it is told.  It very cleverly keeps your interest and keeps you guessing.  The film cuts between pretty claustrophobic sets and fantastic sweeping shots of Chicago and it's skyline.  

It's a nice 90 minute film that moves at a good pace.  Making it longer would definitely not have been a good idea.  I wish more directors would limit their films.

My problems with the film all come under the 'spoiler' tag below.  I do think however that it's a film worth seeing.  So do recommend it.  If you do go, come back and see if you agree with me.

SPOILERS BELOW - Rollover to view

My main problem with the film was Captain Goodwin's behaviour at the end of the film.  I just couldn't believe she would have risked future lives, after just saving tens of thousands, by actually killing the only proven test subject.

Next problem, the happy, neat ending.  If the film had stopped on the freeze frame it would have been much better.  The happy ever after in someone else's body didn't wash.  And, as my dad pointed out, what happened to the real Sean?  Is he now suffering a severe case of schizophrenia or was he extinguished to let Coulter live?

3.5 out of 5 pawprints

1 comments:

Source Code online said...

i thought the movie was excellent. in those kinda movies it's either- don't think too much into it or you won't enjoy it, just like my friend started over analyze the details and find the holes in the plot.

Post a Comment