Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Park Run

Last year I started running.  Maybe the hardest physical thing I've ever done.  I'm a lazy devil and have many trips to the gym under my belt but have never really pushed myself too hard.  As I'm also a greedy devil something had to give.

I trained last year for a 5k which I completed.  Then as most would predict my running tailed off, especially as Royton got wetter and colder.

This year I signed up for a 10k, earlier in the year.

I have upped my training considerably and I'm pleased that my fitness hasn't dropped all the way back.

One way of measuring your fitness is to enter races.  The problem is races are not always nearby and not always on a day you're free.  As well as costing at least £5, probably more to enter.



This is why I think Parkrun  is such an amazing idea.  They run a FREE 5k run in local parks EVERY Saturday morning.  I'm lucky in that I have 2 within a reasonable distance.  Hopefully you'll be able to see your times getting better as you spend more time in training.  I'm lucky enough to be at the wrong end and have plenty of scope.  If you can't make one run you know there'll be another next week.  No hassle, just turn up and run.

All races are properly measured out, properly timed.  You get an email later in the day telling you your placing and time.  All you have to take with you is your own personal barcode you print off form their site.  The stat's available on their website is fantastic. With times, PBs, number of races ran and also a grading percentage.  This tells you how well you're doing for your age and how much scope for improvement there is.

If you fancy giving it a go, and what is there to lose?  have a look on their events page - http://parkrun.com/events/UK.aspx and find your closest Parkrun.  On each course homepage you can see a map of the course and directions on how to get there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment