Saturday, March 26, 2011

Great Northern Warehouse Tunnel Tour, Manchester

This is the second Tunnel Tour I've taken.  Details of the first can be found here. 

We met outside The Bridgewater Hall and were told a brief history of where we were going.  Then we trotted over to the Great Northern Warehouse.  This was originally built as a road/rail/canal transport and goods interchange.  From a little room I've never noticed before we went down into the depths.  This is the first 'chamber' we arrived in...


Note the Eye of Sauron on the roof.  Below the barrier is where the canal was before it was drained.  The barrier marks the end of the towpath.  In 1939 the tunnels were adapted for use as air-raid shelters. Hence the flat floor of the 'canal' and the walled off areas.

Barely readable, there are still patches of posters on the walls telling people how they should behave in these shelters.  However well behaved people were it's not somewhere I would have wanted to spend much time.  The tunnels are very damp.

This is a, now walled off, street entrance into the shelters...


The next chamber contained a little mystery.  Two towers, now collapsing, that were probably either used to pump water to and from the canals or to help build the bed that Manchester Central railway station was built on.  I wonder if we'll ever know for sure.  This is a picture of the roof of the chamber showing the arches...


I was quite hasty in exiting that chamber as I feared a Balrog may approach at any time!  Here's a picture looking back into the 2nd chamber, showing the walled off areas built for the shelters...


There isn't much more tell about the tunnels really.  If you're interested I really do suggest you book a tour.  The guides are really knowledgeable and enthusiastic about their subject.  I hope they open more of Manchester's 'below decks' areas to the public.  As a world city we're poorly done for in things like this.

This is a sign directing to a particular shelter bay...


Obviously Eddie had access long before I did...


And finally, a mooring post with a lovely growth on it...


If you fancy a tour you can book here. 

Don't forget your torch :-) 




1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like it is a fascinating your. As I am not far from Manchester myself I might have to take a look at it myself one of these days!

Post a Comment