Monday, February 21, 2011

Manchester's Haunted Underworld



Dave bought places on Manchester Confidential's 'Haunted Underworld' tour, as part of my Christmas present.  For a member of Subterrenea Britannica that's a pretty snazzy gift.  Getting underneath your own city with a damn good tour guide is a fine way to while away a Saturday afternoon.

We met in Manchester, behind St Ann's Church where the tour began.  There were plenty of people on the tour so hopefully these tours will keep going and expand their remit. It's about time Manchester got some recognition of its heritage.

Our tour guide was Philippa and she was very good.  A font of local, historical information.  What was rather worrying, for someone who is not so fond of the dark, was her getting us to agree not to use our torches.  I was mollified with the offer of a prize at then end though.  She gave us a brief talk on and around St Ann's Square and then led us down into the depths.  To tell us dark tales, while we didn't switch our torches on.  I stayed super close to Dave, just in case.....   In a nice reversal we got to go up quite a few flights of stairs to get a view of Manchester from above that is not available normally.  The tour has atmosphere even if it doesn't take in a huge amount of tunnels.  I won't give any details of the tour as it's best 'spoiler free'.

I have to tell you though that I did win the prize!

I have it from a trusted source that there is more to see on the Great Northern tunnels tour.  Which I'm already booked on.  I think these tours are great value for money and would definitely recommend the one I've been on with my trusted sources recommending the other.

Here are the links:  Haunted Underworld  Great Northern

If you are interested in what's underneath your feet as you eat, drink and shop I can recommend two good books by Keith Warrender Underground Manchester and the follow up Below Manchester I'm hoping to see more from these books on The Great Northern Tour.

0 comments:

Post a Comment