Friday, February 25, 2011

Book 12 of the 50 Book Challenge & Books You Should Read, the Podcast

The Sentinel  by Jeffrey Konvitz, 248 pages



Started February 21st, finished February 24th.

This was one of those spooky coincidence recommendations.  It came up in a conversation with my mum and withing a week had been mentioned on the Books You Should Read podcast.  Such a coincidence involving horror fiction could not be ignored.  I managed to find a paperback about as old as myself from Amazon.  Though old luckily it's in great shape.  I don't have to hold the spine together as I read.

I was wary of this book as I'd been told it was spooky as Hell.  It's written in a very simple style.  It gives the information necessary but without many flourishes.  The characters were not at all original.  I've seen them all before many a time.  This wasn't a problem though once I got into the tale.  As I got deeper into the book I noticed the writing style less.  The book had me gripped so no complaints after all.

It is very spooky and unsettling.  It's a quick reader.  At the weekend you'd be able to rattle through it in a day.  The finale I expected just didn't come about at all which was a good thing for me.  I enjoyed the book and I'm hoping I can get hold of a copy of Michael Winner's film version.  

3.5 out of 5 pawprints

Total so far, Books - 12, Pages - 3,172

Next - My Enemy's Cradle by Sara Young



A little more about the Book You Should Read podcast  This is on the Simply Syndicated network.  Definitely worth a browse if your're unfamiliar there's definitely content on there for you.  Along with a forum to complement all the shows.  BYSR is hosted by Kennedy and discusses the world of literature.  It's wide ranging so I'm pretty sure will introduce you to something new.  It definitely has done for me.  It also accepts reviews from listeners and has a regular Book Club segment  from a group in England.  Give it a listen and send in a review :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment