Friday, February 18, 2011

Book 6 of the 50 Book Challenge

Cross of Iron by Willi Heinrich, 478 pages


Started January 27th, finished February 7th.


This one is a re-read but the first reading was a long time ago.

Another one that's been hanging around the 'to read' pile with intent.  So I decided it was to come on holiday with me.  I didn't read half as much whilst away as I meant to but I did get into this book.

As well as having read the book I'd also seen the film.  My incredible sieve of a memory had left me with only a vague memory of events.  I found the writing style took a little time to get into but not enough to put me off.  It's a fascinating look at life on the other side of WWII.  I have no idea how accurate the tale is but as the author fought for Germany on the Eastern Front, in the division described in the novel, I'm assuming it's pretty close to the truth.  It tells the same story as other books on war that I've read.  War is a horrible experience.  The interesting thing is the similarities to be found in people the world over.  No matter what 'side' they are on.

I can't say the book is enjoyable but that's solely the fault of the subject matter.  I'll be keeping the book and will probably come back to it in the future at some point.

3.5 pawprints out of 5.


Total so far, Books - 6, Pages - 1,821

Next - Cat Confidential by Vicky Halls


0 comments:

Post a Comment