Monday, February 14, 2011

Private Lives at Oldham Coliseum


This is the final show on this season ticket.  Oldham Coliseum is my local theatre and we always get great value from our sesason tickets.  If you're nearby and are interested their website is here. I recommend it as great value for money and a good night out.  It's the only theatre I know of where the cast join the audience for a beverage in the bar afterwards.

I was looking forward to this play a lot.  I saw Blithe Spirit a few years ago here and absolutely loved it.  Sitting down and seeing the Art Deco set I was ready to go.

The cast were great only 4 parts and a cameo.  Every one played really well.  I was a bit dubious about one of the cast's costumes but that was part of her character, poor woman.  The sets looked nice.  Everything was as it should be.

The only problems was I just didn't like the characters in the play.  It was a case of spending time with four people I really didn't like.  While I was with them big things were happening to them.  I couldn't care less.  I was surprised by how unlikable all the characters were.  It seems I need someone to identify with on stage.

The production was great but unfortunately I felt let down by the script.  2.5 out of 5 pawprints.

I would like to see another Coward play.  As the two I have seen have been at either end of my enjoyment spectrum.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I like Coward, generally, but Private Lives wasn't really his best. Plus he was writing at a time when people wanted to sit through a three hour play to escape the horrors of a war-torn world, but his scripts all begin with an iron-clad edict that not one word is to be cut from the performance, so if you're not digging the show, it's a long way to the curtain call.

Post a Comment