Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mogadishu at The Royal Exchange


Last night we saw the final play on our season ticket.  Mogadishu by Vivienne Franzmann.

This was the blurb from the flyer: When white secondary school teacher Amanda is pushed to the ground by black student Jason, she's reluctant to report it as she knows exclusion could condemn him to a future as troubled as his past.  Once the boy and his peers have decide to protect themselves by spinning a story of their own, Amanda finds herself sucked into a vortex of lies in which victim becomes perpetrator.  With the truth becoming less clear and more dangerous by the day, it isn't long before careers, relationships and even lives are under threat in Vivienne Franzmann's GRIPPING and URGENT play.

The play has won the  Bruntwood Prize for Playwriting   The writer is an ex-teacher herself and her experiences must come through in the play.  I will be reading some interviews later to see how much of herself and her experiences she put into the teacher character.

The play opens with a bang.  Grabbing your attention and letting you know it isn't shy of tackling the hard-hitting subjects it raises.  It's set in a place I'm not familiar with.  I haven't been to school for many years and when I was there the issues raised in the play never crossed my path.  It does seem very realistic though.  The first issue they smash you with is race and 'playing the race card'.  Something I haven't seen put on the table so bluntly in the art world before.

The majority of the cast are teenagers.  All are fantastic in their roles.  I hope they all go on to have long careers in the acting industry.  They play gritty roles in some instances and play them excellently.  The 'precocious child actor' never rears it head once.  The cast members I couldn't really believe in were the 2 members of school staff.  They didn't come across as real, but acting.  The stage is one of the most minimalist I've seen there.  Letting the actors draw your eye fully.

I was thoroughly gripped by the first half, it was tense and sucked you right in.  The second half I found a little too long.  The whole play could have been shortened by 30 minutes.  I'd have dropped the extra issues brought in during the second half.  It is still a fantastic play though.  One which I'd urge people to make the effort to see.  You have until Feb 19th to see it at The Royal Exchange, Manchester before it transfers to The Lyric, Hammersmith

I can guarantee it will have you discussing the issues it raises as you leave.

4 pawprints out of 5.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good!
I often go and see the plays performed by the pupils at my school and usually thoroughly enjoy them.
This one sounds interesting and as a teacher I would be quite willing to see it!
What other issues were brought up then?

Anonymous said...

Though my comment has nothing to do with your current post (though I will catch up with your blog with great interest, being a theatre and reading sort of girl), I want to thank you for following the Dobies blog - I hope you will enjoy what 'the team' will post in the months to come. (And although I should not allude to them, maybe you might like my personal blogs - to be found via my profile). Ann

Post a Comment