Saturday, February 19, 2011

Book 7 of the 50 Book Challenge

Cat Confidential by Vicky Halls, 326 pages



Started February 7th, finished February 11th.

This is another re-read.  An essential one as we have 2 new cats in the house.  Very timid cats.  I am not into 'Pet Whispering' and was very dubious about this book when my mum first recommended it to me about 5 years ago.  However when I lost the cat I had at the time I was devastated and read the chapter on 'Coping with Bereavement'.  It was very informative.  This led to me reading the entire book over a few days.

I am so glad I chose not to ignore it.  This isn't a book about counselling your cat.  It's a book about understanding why your cat behaves as it does and how you can help a cat behaving as it shouldn't.  On the whole it's a great sensible book which makes you take a step back from your assumptions.  Assumptions all cat owners have.  I've yet to meet a cat owner who isn't surprised by the logical way at least one of their assumptions is explained to be wrong in the book.

The author is a cat lover herself who aims to get us to stop anthropomorhising our cats.  They aren't human and though there are occasional similarities they are very different beasts!  The books is full of case studies to help illustrate the points raised.  These made me laugh, cry and look at myself.  It's nice to find a very helpful informative book that is a joy to read.  My only quibble is her use of homeopathy.  In her defense she doesn't claim any scientific evidence.

I'd thoroughly recommend this book to any cat owner.  You may be seeing one or two more of her books on here as we try to give our cats the best home possible.

4.5 pawprints out of 5

Total so far, Books - 7, Pages - 2,147

Next - Vendetta by Michael Dibdin

0 comments:

Post a Comment