Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Book 4 of the 50 Book Challenge

How to Drink by Victoria Moore, 327 pages


Started January 16th, finished January 21st.

I can't remember where I got the tip for this book.  It was either online somewhere or a newspaper article.  I'm just really glad I followed it up.

This is a book that helps to fill the whole in the drinks world not covered by wine or cocktails.  The food world is well served by the number of books dedicated to it.  The drinks world is badly served in comparison.    If you're looking for a book on wine, well you could choose from 100's of titles.  Cocktail recipe book, hundreds.  But not every drink is wine or a cocktail.  

This book looks at times of year and what drinks suit the seasons.  It also gives recommendations for foods to suit those drinks.  There are plenty of recipes for drinks in there.  Some you'll know, many you won't.  Soft drinks are given plenty of time too.  As are tea and coffee.  Wine and cocktails are there but don't takle over the whole book.  They are mentioned where they should be.

This book is probably going to cost me a fair few bob as I work through the ones I need to try.  Also the ones I need to do properly, rather than the corrupt versions we have become used to.  I've already managed one.  A Campari Spritzer in Northern Italy.  Wrong time of year but the right place.

I heartily recommend this book to anyone with an interest in food and drink.  It is definitely going to add flair to my dinner parties, BBQs, Girls Nights, etc.

Total so far, Books - 4, Pages - 1,078

Next - Ratking by Michael Dibdin

0 comments:

Post a Comment