Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Book 47 of the 50 Book Challenge

The Elephant to Hollywood by Michael Caine, 385 pages


Started June 26th, finished June 27th

Another holiday read.  I love being able to bury myself in a book on holiday.  Too many distractions and things like work at home.

I have never been a Michael Caine fan.  From the little I'd seen of him he came across as cocky and that accent grated on me.  As for his films, every clips I'd seen had a heavily accented 'My name is Michael Caine' slant to it.  I prejudged.  The fact that my name was Kane growing up didn't help.  

I suppose you're wondering why I bought the book then?  It was a last minute, at the till, 3 for 2, Waterstones decision.  I'm glad I bought it.  It turned my opinion of Mr Caine mainly on his head.  He seemed a genuine bloke in print.  No bigging up of his achievements.  Gave thanks to the people who'd helped his career.  It was an often amusing, always interesting ride through his life.

He tells his story very well.  No gossiping or bitching.  He's done enough himself to easily fill a book without that kinda thing.  Reading this has given me the urge to go and see some of his films.  It seems I'm missing out.  Especially as I thought his performance in Is Anybody There? was so wonderful.

This is just the type of 'film star' biography I like.  I'd definitely recommend it to any Michael Caine fan, British Cinema fan or Hollywood fan.

5 out of 5 pawprints

Total so far, Books - 47, Pages 13,860.  Looks like I won't make the page count within 50 books.

Next - The Chrysalids by John Wyndham

1 comments:

Paul said...

I recently read this too and I couldn't agree more. He comes across as an honest and genuine man, who has seen the best and the worst of the industry but is able to talk about in a way that feels neither sensationalist or underdone.

I'm not a huge fan of his either - but I was pleased to discover he loves Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, as I think its one of his more underrated movies.

Post a Comment