Monday, August 8, 2011

Captain America, The Northern Quarter shines.


We took our nephew to see this last night.  He is a fan of 3D so the Avatar glasses came out of retirement.  I can't see how the 3D added to the experience but it didn't manage to spoil it either.

I have to admit I was most interested in seeing the scenes shot in Manchester and Liverpool.  I knew nothing of Captain America's story so I was quite happy to believe what I saw on screen.  I'm a fan of origin movies.  I find a character's development, if done well, to hit the right buttons with me.  Manchester was hardly recognisable.  Just the odd window frame or doorway stood out.  You'd think they were trying to disguise it or something.  Liverpool's Albert Dock was more obvious.  

This was big budget, summer blockbuster stuff.  It didn't disappoint.  I though the leads were great.  I don't seem to recognise any of them except for Hugo Weaving.  maybe that helped me sink into their characters quickly.  Big, pleasant surprise to find Mr Tucci on my screen.  He along with Toby Jones, Tommy Lee Jones and Dominic Cooper as support cast is pretty impressive.  The difference between weed to superhero was great.  I like the way they have little references in there without shoving them down your throat.  e.g.  Howard Stark.  The film looked very good.  Gave a good sense of the 1940's in a brighter more comic book fashion.  The surrounding cast were also very good.  This film won't be having you ponder its significance long into the night but it is good fun.

One bone I have to pick.  Every time Captain America put on a helmet I wasn't sure if it was him or Miles from This Life.  I've certainly never seen them in the same room.....

3.5 out of 5 pawprints


0 comments:

Post a Comment